Fun Stuff

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

a thought for tuesday - playing to win

so, i've been mia from the blog for a while.  i know i know, y'all.  but after wondering about what exactly should i put on my blog, what to write about, who even reads this anyways, do i have time for this, blah blah blah, i've decided i need a little pick me up.  well, maybe not a pick me up.  but, something to get me going, as i do often have failure to launch.  (by the way, i don't have answers to all those questions.  but, i do know i need and want to write again.)  so, enjoy the ramblings folks.  today is tuesday, so enjoy.  here's to new beginnings...

---

i ran across a fabulous npr story earlier today: when kids start playing to win.  obviously, i listened to it through the lens of my soccer coach self.  and, i obviously enjoyed it a bit more than maybe the average joe.  maybe because it affirms what i believe about coaching youth soccer - winning isn't the only thing.  here's my fav quote from the piece:  "when asked how she knows if she's done a great job at a meet, peri [13 year old swimmer] has a quick answer. 'well, sometimes my legs feel like jelly. and so, the first time it felt like that i knew i had succeeded.'" so, check it out y'all!